Introducing….Taryn Marie!

We would love to introduce you to our second daughter, Taryn Marie, who was born on December 19th, 2016 at 5:02 am weighing 7 lbs 1 oz, and was 20 inches long.


Just after she was born and looked over.


Gosh, Jesse looks tired in this photo…and for good reason, we didn’t get any sleep!!!

The evening of 12/18/16 I was hanging out around the house and decided I was going to go take a bath. I had lost my mucus plug and had bloody show a bit, so I wanted to just relax and take one last bath before I had my c-section the next morning. (was to be at 7 am). Towards the end of my bath, I decided to try to stimulate my nipples to see if I could get labor going instead of the prodromal labor I had been having for a few days prior to this. Well, boy did it work. I had a very intense contraction while I was in the bath, so I waited for it to subside and got out (8:08 pm). The contractions kept coming every 3-5 minutes about 30-50 seconds long for an hour. I decided at that point to call L&D and let them advise me on what to do. She basically said they like to see that pattern for 2 hours, but that they couldn’t really say whether for sure or not I was in labor since I hadn’t been checked recently.

I told them I would come in in 30 minutes if it was still going on. It was, so Jesse and I got everything ready and went to the base hospital. Once there I was hooked up to the monitors and Taryn was doing great, but was being lazy so they stimulated her with a little vibrator thing they buzzed onto my stomach. They got a good reading and I was dilated to 2 cm, 60% effaced and -2 station. They told me to walk for 2 hours, so off Jesse and I went to walk around the hospital. Contractions picked up with walking, and towards the end of the 2 hours they were incredibly strong and I had to have Jesse brace me through them. At this point I decided I would get an epidural if I had progressed like they wanted me to. I went back to the unit and they hooked me back up to the monitors, got their readings they wanted again and checked me and I was now 4cm dilated, 70% effaced, still -2 station. I asked for the epidural and they told me they would get anesthesia there to do it. At this point, it’s where things get fuzzy with time because when I went back to the unit it was 1:15am (12/19) or so. I’m not sure what time I was given the epidural, but my contractions were getting super intense. After the epidural, I got pretty shaky/was shivering a lot. I thought it was just from the epidural and endorphins kicking in.

We were told by the nurse that now that the epidural was placed/foley cath was in, we should both try to get some rest. I was given a pillow to put between my legs and was told in a little while they would shift me to my other side so I didn’t develop a lip and they would bring the peanut ball. She left, and within 20 minutes I was feeling this very very intense pressure in my bottom and felt something come out of my vagina. I reached down and felt a bubble like thing coming out so I pressed my nurse call button. She checked and it was my amniotic sac coming out. She decided to break my water since it was still intact, and from there things progressed super quickly. I kept feeling that intense pressure with each contraction, and the epidural started to not take that pain away so I did a bolus dose. I told the nurse I felt like I needed to push, and sure enough I was at 10 cm and +2 station with a small lip. 4:40am I started pushing, and at 5:02am on 12/19/16 she was born! Just 2 hours before my scheduled c-section. Taryn had the cord wrapped around her neck, and she had a bit of trouble breathing at first, so unfortunately Jesse didn’t get to cut the cord. She was having a hard time getting all the amniotic fluid up so the pediatric team acted fast and got her to the warmer; stimulated and crying. While the pediatric team was working on Taryn, my placenta delivered and my 2nd degree tear was stitched up. Taryn was doing well at this point so they handed her off to me for skin to skin. Pictures were taken, I was congratulated and told I did a fantastic job pushing (I seriously pushed with everything I had, to the point where I thought I was going to pop a blood vessel in my face. Seeing as how I got her out in about 12 pushes, I would imagine I did pretty good).


Taryn at the warmer


We’re adjusting to life with a newborn again. Breastfeeding is going great, and I’m producing enough milk to feed about 20 babies it feels like. Rylie is a great big sister, is very gentle with her, and likes to watch diaper changes to make sure I’m doing it right. She’s a little taskmaster. In about 2 weeks we have her first ultrasound/urology appointments at the Children’s Hospital here in town, and Jan 3rd is her 2 week well baby checkup.

If the shirt fits….

I cannot say enough great things about delivering on base here at Wright-Patterson. The entire staff was just wonderful and really had my back when I told them I wanted to continue and try for a VBAC instead of going through with the C-section (I originally wanted a tubal ligation). Anyways, more pics of our new addition will be coming shortly!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s